July 15, 2006

Brunei Darussalam


Bunei Mosque
Originally uploaded by AlbinoAsian.
This picture was taken in the Sultanate of Brunei Darussalam. I had the chance to stop over there on my last trip to Thailand with Royal Brunei Air. On the way to Bangkok I just hung around in the airport and tried to catch up on some sleep. Probably the safest airport in the world to sleep in that I've been too. Its like the chairs are designed for people wanting to sleep in between flights, they get alot of transit passengers there.

On the way back from Bangkok I had a day and a half in Brunei, I decided to skip the organized tours as I didn't really want to spend much money and just cruised around myself... Most of my time there consisted of eating. the cuisine is very much similar to what you find throughout Malaysia, ate a couple meals of Roti, made me miss being in Penang.

Brunei is not a really big place, but the people are extremely friendly. They will go out of your way to help you and everywhere I went people wanted to chat, some people said if I came again that I could just stay with them.

At the airport in Brunei before coming home I had a few hours to kill again so I was sitting down listening to my iRiver and a few people came and sat down... two of the ladies were Thai who had lived in Brunei for several years, because their husbands work there. I had only been out of Thailand for a couple days, but it was great to speak Thai again. After a while of chatting it turned out that one of the ladies is from Korat, the place that Tuu comes from, and the second lady was from Kantharalak in Sii Sa Ket which happened to be the place way out in the middle of Isaan where Shane had done outreach. It was all a bit of a spinout.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Woa you can speak Thai? Cool!
Thats a lovely photo, the lights are spectacular. I assume you use an slr?
I'm glad there are actually people using iriver instead of the typical ipod these days. Good for you!

bronnileigh said...

Hey man! I just stumbled across your blog- so excited to read about what you are up to and to see a pic of your girl. P'Noiy told me about her, but I wasn't sure if I knew her or not.

Doesn't look familiar, but you guys look great together. Keep strong during the long distance thing- it's not easy, but it's worth the wait in the end.

Blessings
Bronwyn