June 04, 2005

Entering the promised land

This week in SBS we are studying the book of Deuteronomy, for all of us the fact that Moses didn't get to enter the promised land after so long of being faithful to God seems hard to swallow ... and quite hard to really understand when we think we know God's grace.

23 "At that time I pleaded with the LORD and said, 24 'O Sovereign LORD, I am your servant. You have only begun to show me your greatness and power. Is there any god in heaven or on earth who can perform such great deeds as yours? 25 Please let me cross the Jordan to see the wonderful land on the other side, the beautiful hill country and the Lebanon mountains.' 26 "But the LORD was angry with me because of you, and he would not listen to me. 'That's enough!' he ordered. 'Speak of it no more. 27 You can go to Pisgah Peak and view the land in every direction, but you may not cross the Jordan River. 28 But commission Joshua and encourage him, for he will lead the people across the Jordan. He will give them the land you now see before you.'

I knew that God wanted to show some truth through this story and after reading the passage above God really spoke to me about two things.

The first wasn't necessarily from the text but I still felt challenged all the same and I felt God asking "If you couldn't go to heaven (your promised land) would you still serve me?" Now this seems like a pretty still question because we know that all those that love the Lord will have and inheritance in the eternal promised land. But it really challenged me ... do I serve God because I get to go to the promised land, or do I serve God because he is God ... and he is worthy to be served whether or not I get to go to heaven. God told Moses he wouldn't get to go the promised land (though he will be in the eternal promised land) yet Moses continued to serve God and lead the people as God wanted him too. So for myself that question still rings in my ears ... would I keep serving God even if I didn't get to go to heaven ... it really points out my selfishness and my motives... am I in this for me or for God ... do I do everything unto the Lord (BIG FULLSTOP) or do I do everything unto the Lord so I can get something in return. God is worthy to be served FULLSTOP ... and praise God is he is overwhelmingly gracious, abundanct in love, never-ending in mercy and has given me passage into the promised land.

The second thing God challenged me about was how Moses was told to encourage and commission Joshua to lead the people into the promised land. Moses had been leading these stinking complainging Israelites day in day out for 40 years, working his butt off, and now Joshua will be the one that gets the pat on the back as he leads them into the promised.
In my work for God whether it be in Thailand, at home, or wherever God has me
"am I prepared to invest my whole life, my whole energy into something even if I don't get to see the fruits of it?" and "will I challenge and commission others after me to keep the work going even if it means they might end up looking like heroes (Even though God is the true hero!!!)"
The missionaries in the South of Thailand have invested 10 years with maybe 1 person a year getting saved, but now after the Tsunami there are people that have only just started working there that are seeing people saved every single day ... but unless these pioneers they prepared the soil there would be no harvest ... there would be no fruits today.
Moses prepared these people for 40 years ... without his life commitment to his God and God's people, the people wouldn't have been able to enter the promised land. God

God I'm not in this for rewards or glory, I am in this for the glory of your name! You deserve to be praised!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

tom! you really got me thinking here. i sure do have some repenting to do later.

indeed, if we aren't careful, the gifts will cloud the Giver -something that will no doubt grieve His heart.

Lord, make us holy not to "gain points" but because it is who You are!