June 05, 2005

Teh Terik

Thought I'd introduce everyone to great tea that is called Teh Tarik, for those that have been to Thailand and tried chaa yen, its not a whole lot different except its served hot (for the cold version 'teh ice')

Ask any Malaysian worth his or her salt to name their favourite tea, and most likely it is the teh-tarik. Literally meaning "pull tea", the drink is prepared using out-stretched hands to pour piping hot tea from a mug into a waiting glass. The higher the pull the thicker the froth. Often found in Indian hawker stalls or restaurants, preparing the teh-tarik is both an art and science.
In expert hands, the action of streaming tea back and forth the containers is a feast for the eyes. This visual treat involves vigourous almost acrobatic like-movements of the hands and arms, as the tea steadily spills into receiving ends. Poetry in motion.
There is a reason behind this unusual method of serving tea. It is believed that the technique of stretching the tea helps it to mix well with another essential ingredient, the condense milk. Thus, bringing out the strong aroma and the subtle taste of tea. Also, the beverage cools faster this way. Style with substance.
From here

for a pic see here

and for a recipe see here

and now I'm off to get one :)

4 comments:

Katy said...

Teh Terik is good...but I have to say I like Milo Ice the best. :-)

It was nice to actually meet you today...have a great week!

In Him,
Katy

Tom said...

Well yeh I'm just spoilt coming from Australia, we have milo whenever we want ;)

Katy said...

Well, then, you definitely are spoiled!

It's so odd you just mentioned meeting Nathaniel (or Than, as we call him) the other day, because I just saw him today, and he mentioned meeting a YWAMer from Australia. So I asked if it might be a guy named Tom, and he said he thought so! Really is a small world. At first I was trying to figure out how you knew I knew Nathaniel (Than), but then I realized I mentioned him on my blog...I'm slow sometimes. :-)

Talk to you later,
God bless,
Katy

Gareth Williams said...

Hey Tom,
Good to hear from you. Got back from SYG last night, didn't stay for the closing ceremony but I have a feeling Pulse were right up there.
I trust that God is doing great things in you through the DTS.
You might want to change my profile, I'm no longer Youth pastor at Subi. I've planted a church called Myriad here in Perth.