March 18, 2006

iSolating


Live it UP!
Originally uploaded by lil aNNa.
There is no doubt that iPods are here to stay, they're a beautiful piece of equipment, I use something similar called and iRiver, which suits me better than and iPod. But no matter what your preference is ... there are alot of these babies around. Because of its ease to carry and to play music, people will take it and listen to it anywhere they go. But I wondered the other day what effect are these having on our society? Are people closing themselves off to the world even more and more. Now when you go outside, go for a run, or sit on a bus, you limit your interaction with people.

I love listening to my portable music device, and I love being able to listen to worship music, sometimes it makes me feel good, sometimes God speaks to me, but should I be relying on my iPod-like device. I'm wondering whether just talking to somebody on the bus would allow me to worship God. Or would that be 'true worship'
I see nothing wrong with chilling out to worship music or any music for that matter, but am I giving myself an easy way out by iSolating my self with some music, rather than engaging in a conversation with someone on a bus.
I don't think there is one answer ... its more like a bunch of ponderings... and the one conclusion I have come to is that I need to commune with God more than I am, but also commune with others more than I am, rather than just being inward focused and selfish. Whether its listening to my iRiver/iPod or its chatting to the person next to me. I should be doing it for the glory of God.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hmmm ... wwJd ... good post Thomas. Very thought provoking.

I agree with what you say about shutting ourselves off from the world, but you know, Jesus did that on several occassions when He needed to be alone with His father. However God created us to be in relationship - with Him and with other people.

"Kara" ... right time, right place ... only you can decide, with some help from His Spirit.

Oh BTW, Jesus would probably buy an iPod :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,

You know, I've thought the same thing every morning when i catch the train to work. so many people are plugged in to something to maintain their little world, nearly desperate to keep everything else out.

sometimes it's just easier to join in. for me it can almost be a bit of a protective mechanism (like you said about proclaiming Christ - how it can be a kind of social risk).

iSolating is right, but like your dad says, at the right time and in the right place... how good is it to start the day with worship, to get excited about maintaining that attitude throughout your day?

I love that God created music to have the potential to be such a blessing - but i guess i forget sometimes He created the people i sit next to with that same potential ... :)